Hot flashes are one of the most distressing symptoms of menopause for many women. In the spirit of giving, I want to share with you some natural ways to help you relieve your hot flashes.
To prevent hot flashes avoid the following triggers:
- Smoking tobacco
- Eating spicy foods
- Wearing tight clothing
- Staying out in the heat too much
Other lifestyle steps you can take to reduce hot flashes naturally include:
- Wear Cool Cami or the CoolMe Mat developed by Menopause Sister Nancy Munro.
- Keep your bedroom cool but not cold at night.
- Use fans to keep your skin cool throughout the day.
- Wear natural fibers such as cotton, not synthetics.
- Exercise lightly every day, such as walking, swimming and cycling.
- Try yoga or meditation
- Relax by doing deep breathing, about 6 breaths per minute, for about 5 minutes in the morning and at night, and when a hot flash starts.
- Watch your nutrition:
- Eat more foods rich in Vitamin B complex, and leafy greens
- Vitamin E, such as in sunflower seeds, almonds, fresh spinach, olive oil and kiwi fruits
Some botanical and herbal therapies can also be used for relieving hot flashes. Remember that what may work for one person may not work for another. Monitor your symptoms to see if what you are taking makes any difference to your hot flashes. Give it time as most remedies may take 4-6 weeks to see the full benefit.
Having said that, here are some natural remedies that may help ease your hot flashes:
Complementary and alternative medicine (CAM)
CAM therapies are may also be helpful to relieving hot flashes. Examples here include:
Try all of these natural ways to treat hot flashes and see which ones work best for you.